All coaches of the PGAYSA must read the following information. All forms at the links marked as *REQUIRED must be completed and saved with your name and the clearance type as the file name in PDF format. Send as an email with your name as the subject line to email@example.com. Please do not send the files until you have completed all the steps.
(The Google Chrome browser, available at chrome.google.com, includes a PDF Printer to save your certificates for emailing.)
New child protection laws have been enacted in Pennsylvania requiring our coaches and other volunteers to obtain clearances. Volunteers requiring clearances are those “acting in lieu of a parent” or having direct contact where they provide care, supervision, guidance or control of children or have routine interaction with children.
All adults 18 years and older applying for an unpaid position as a volunteer responsible for the welfare of a child and having direct contact with children, must have clearances that include:
PA Child Abuse History clearance *REQUIRED every 60 Months
PA State Police Criminal Records Check *REQUIRED every 60 Months
An FBI Criminal Background Check ($27.50) *Required only if you have not been a continuous resident of Pennsylvania for 10 years, use service code 1KG738
Volunteers not requiring an FBI check, and have been a continuous resident of PA for the last ten years, must swear or affirm in writing using the form HERE, that they have no other convictions that would disqualify them. *REQUIRED
- Clearances are required prior to the commencement of service.
- Volunteers between the ages of 14-17 are NOT required to have clearances. Adults (18 and up) who only volunteer one time, are NOT required to have clearances.
- Each organization must keep records of volunteer/employee clearances
- All adults (Within the context of the new law) are “mandatory reporters.” Volunteers are not required to have child abuse training or certification, although it is recommended.
- The clearances are good for 60 months. They are portable and may be used with other organizations.
- Volunteers who do not reside in PA have a 30 day provisional status, so long as they provide clearances from the state or country where they reside. Longer than 30 days requires the clearances stated above.
- At present, the Child Abuse History Clearance may take 14 days for volunteers. The State Police records check is, or should be, instantaneous. Please plan accordingly.
The best resource for additional information is www.keepkidssafe.pa.gov
Upon completing the clearances and being accepted as a coach of the PGAYSA, you must also register below.
Risk Management Registration
COACH Risk Management *REQUIRED Yearly
*It is very important to use your full legal name and choose Pine Grove Area YSA as the Organization.
Please complete the course "Heads Up Concussion in Youth Sports" at the following link. This course is required to be a Coach with PGAYSA and needs to be tracked by the association.
COACH Concussion Course *REQUIRED Yearly
Also, please see the "COACHES_CONCUSSION FACT SHEET" and "COACHES_QUIZ" attached below and review.
Additional Coach Information
For coaches wishing to further their soccer education, the "E" License is focused on delivering content and instructional methods relevant to coaching 9-12 year old soccer athletes in an 8v8 formation. The course is intended to be the initial license serving as a stepping-stone along the National Course Coaching Education pathway. More information regarding this course and upcoming schedules can be found at the following link:
Also, information regarding a mandatory coaching course for PGAYSA coaches will be coming soon. Please continue to check the web site often for updates.
Soccer Rules of the Game
2012 LVYSA Coach's Packet (See File Link Below)
U6/U8 Coaches Handbook (See File Link Below)
Soccer Drill Links